Elite Youth Cycling (Routledge Research in Paediatric Sport and Exercise Science) (English Edition)
Elite Youth Cycling showcases the latest cutting-edge research in youth cycling performance. Covering both endurance and sprint cycling events, the book explores the effect of cycling on the maturation of the body from childhood to adolescence, suggests long-term training and nutritional strategies for young athletes, and discusses issues such as injury prevention, long-term athlete health, and body image in endurance cyclists.
Divided into sections on growth and maturation, training and testing, sports medicine and nutrition, and coaching and psychology, the book includes chapters on:
- Muscle, bone and cardiopulmonary development of young cyclists
- Performance assessment in the laboratory and on the track
- Longitudinal training strategies and concurrent strength training
- Overuse injuries and injury prevention
- Nutrition and ergogenic aids
- Personal and psychosocial development
Including directions for future research in each section, Elite Youth Cycling is an authoritative and comprehensive anthology of the latest research in youth cycling. It is vital reading for any physiologist, psychologist, strength and conditioning coach or sport therapist working with young cyclists, and any academic researching youth sport and the development of young athletes.